Planning to turn vegan or inviting a friend or relative who is vegan or has recently enriched veganism? Well, not understanding fully what a vegan diet is can land you in trouble with your guests and if you are the one who is switching to a plant-based diet, you need to be clear about it.
You might be thinking of going vegan and we understand that and this is why we have crafted this article especially for you. In this article, find a list of all those things you can eat as a vegan. Let’s begin with understanding what is veganism.
What is a vegan diet?
A vegan diet is born out of the rising awareness and popularity of veganism that tries to exclude any form of animal exploitation or cruelty. So, accordingly, a vegan diet is free from any animal products such as meat, dairy, and eggs. However, people follow vegan diets for environmental as well as health reasons.
Health benefits of a vegan diet
There are multiple studies that show that vegans enjoy better heart health and are at a reduced risk of developing various diseases. Consuming meat enhances the chances of getting obese and also invites heart troubles. So, by going vegan, you can ensure to a great extent that you are at a reduced risk of becoming obese or getting any cardiovascular disease. Vegan diets are also good for controlling cholesterol levels and regulating blood pressure.
Vegans are also said to be at a reduced risk of developing diabetes and certain forms of cancer, particularly breast cancer, cancer of ovaries & uterus, and cancers of the GI tract.
Key advantages of vegan diets
- Helps with weight loss: Vegans are usually leaner as compared to meat-eaters and also have a low BMI. there are multiple studies that show that vegan diets are more effective when it comes to weight loss and management.
- Controls blood sugar: There are many studies showing that vegans have lower blood sugar levels along with better insulin sensitivity. Vegans have a 78% reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes when compared to non-vegans.
- Improves cardiovascular health: There are some observational studies that talk in favor of vegan diets. Vegans have a reduced risk of hypertension and have regulated cholesterol and sugar levels to enhance heart health.
So, now you are aware of the benefits veganism is going to bring in when you embrace plant-based diets. Now, let’s have a look at all things you can eat while being a vegan.
Foods you can eat while on a vegan diet
- All fruits and vegetables
- Nuts and nut butter such as peanut butter, almond butter, etc.
- Seeds such as hemp, flax, chia, and pumpkin seeds that are rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids
- Legumes and beans such as kidney beans, black-eyed beans, pulses, lentils, and chickpeas
- Plant-based milk such as almond milk & soy milk and plant-based yogurts
- Tofu (soy paneer) and soy
- Whole grains and cereals such as quinoa, Spelt, Amarnath, etc.
- Sprouts and fermented plant-based foods such as miso, tempeh, Ezekiel bread, etc.
Foods to be avoided
- Eggs and any sorts of meat
- Fish and seafood
- Dairy and poultry products
- Any animal-based products such as whey protein, casein, omega-3 sourced from fishes, bee products, gelatin, etc.
To fulfill your daily nutritional needs, it is very important that you consume a variety of vegan foods. You can have plant-based protein powder such as bGREEN plant protein to boost your protein intake. bGREEN offers many other vegan products such as Supergreens & Fruits, Up-Beet Pre-workout, Citrus Vitamin C, and even vegan peanut butter. Find all the stuff here that can help you start and continue your vegan journey beautifully without any hassles.